Have you heard of the Wiltshire Business Club?
Back in 2009 when PAH Accounting was first set up I needed a way to reach out to new contacts. I was already a keen networker but found it limited to breakfast meetings. Therefore I tried to join a certain evening networking group; however, I couldn’t get in because they already had another accountant.
Bright idea flashes up ‘I’ll start my own’!
I set up a basic Ning website and started promoting it on Twitter. A good online friend of mine Roland Millward spotted the idea and came on board to help promote and market the Club. It has really taken off and we now get 18-20 businesses in regular attendance, although we are looking to grow it.
The good points about it
- No membership fees! Costs are just £10 to attend the meetings which goes directly to the venue. Therefore Roland and I make no profit from it.
- Regular monthly meetings – 1st Wednesday of each month at the New Inn, Coate, Devizes and 3rd Wednesday of each month at the Rose and Crown, Chippenham.
- Three 10 minute 1 to 1 appointments. The first appointment is ‘blind’ so you get to speak to someone you may not ordinarily speak to. The other two are chosen after hearing the intro’s round
- The intro round gives everyone who attends an opportunity to introduce themselves, their business and the type of people they are looking to work with
- A great website where you can use the forum, check out the events and find out who else is a member.
Check out the video of the meeting held on 6 October at the New Inn, Coate